These work-life balance quotes will help you keep a health perspective as you try to manage the age old problem of setting priorities.
Is it really possible to achieve a proper work-life balance in a heavily work-oriented society where productivity and accomplishment are often lauded ahead of personal goals and even spending time with friends and family? The science is clear that longer work hours don’t necessarily lead to more achievement. However, they do lead to regret for the things we’ve missed out on in our personal and family lives, as well as the hit our physical and mental health can take from burnout.
Many notable innovators are taking this subject seriously. Here, we present some thought-provoking work-life balance quotes to help you imagine life differently, remember that you are a human being, and focus on things that really matter as you strive for a balanced life.
The delicate work-life balance
“We have overstretched our personal boundaries and forgotten that true happiness comes from living an authentic life fueled with a sense of purpose and balance.”
- “Time is really the only capital that any human being has, and the only thing he can’t afford to lose.” Thomas Edison, inventor
- “Balance, peace, and joy are the fruit of a successful life. It starts with recognizing your talents and finding ways to serve others by using them.” Thomas Kinkade, painter
- “Women in particular need to keep an eye on their physical and mental health, because if we’re scurrying to and from appointments and errands, we don’t have a lot of time to take care of ourselves. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list.” Michelle Obama, former first lady
- “May you find the balance of life – time for work but also time for play. Too much of one thing ends up creating stress that no one needs in their life.” Catherine Pulsifer, author
- “We have overstretched our personal boundaries and forgotten that true happiness comes from living an authentic life fueled with a sense of purpose and balance.” Dr. Kathleen Hall, CEO of The Mindful Living Network & The Stress Institute
Quotes to achieve work-life balance
- “Balance is not better time management, but better boundary management. Balance means making choices and enjoying those choices.” Betsy Jacobson, business consultant
- “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.” Michael Altshuler, motivational speaker and sales consultant
- “You will never feel truly satisfied by work until you are satisfied by life.” Heather Schuck, author
- “We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles rather than by the quality of our service and relationship to mankind.” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., civil rights activist
- “Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.” Sydney J. Harris, journalist
How do you create work-life balance?
- “So find your rhythm, understand what makes you resentful, and protect it. You can’t have everything you want, but you can have the things that really matter to you. And thinking that way empowers you to work really hard for a really long period of time.” Marissa Mayer, businesswoman and investor
- “The key is in not spending time, but in investing it.” Stephen R. Covey, author
- “You can build your business life where you are working with people you want to work with. Then it becomes a pleasure, and then you can do better.” Andy Morgan, professional angler
Imagine living a balanced life
- “You can’t truly be considered successful in your business life if your home life is in shambles.” Zig Ziglar, motivational speaker
- “Struggle doesn’t make success happen. In fact, struggle can prevent success from happening. If you seek struggle you’ll find it. If you seek ease, you will find it.” Rich Fettke, entrepreneur and author
- “I believe a balanced life is essential, and I try to make sure that all of our employees know that and live that way. Why shouldn’t your workplace reflect your values? Why is ‘giving back’ not a part of our jobs? The answer for us is to integrate philanthropy with work.” Marc Benioff, chairman and CEO of SalesForce
- “Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.” Carl Sandburg, poet
- “Work, love, and play are the great balance wheels of man’s being.” Orison Swett Marden, author
What does a healthy work-life balance look like?
- “Most people chase success at work thinking that will make them happy. The truth is that happiness at work will make you successful.” Alexander Kjerulf, “Chief Happiness Officer” of Woohoo Inc.
- “It’s all about quality of life and finding a happy balance between work and friends and family.” Sir Philip Green, chairman of Arcadia Group
- “Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them: work, family, health, friends, and spirit, and you’re keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged, or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for balance in your life.” Brian Dyson, former CEO of Coca-Cola
- “When you’re gone, would you rather have your gravestone say, ‘He never missed a meeting’? Or one that said, ‘He was a great father.’” Steve Blank, author of “The Startup Owner’s Manual”
- “Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.” Dolly Parton, singer
“Most people chase success at work thinking that will make them happy. The truth is that happiness at work will make you successful.”
Work-life balance: the struggle is real
- “The challenge of work-life balance is without question one of the most significant struggles faced by modern man.” Stephen R. Covey, author
- “Self-care is, fundamentally, about bringing balance back to a life that has grown imbalanced from too many commitments or responsibilities.” Robyn L. Gobin, psychologist and author
- “Balance is a feeling derived from being whole and complete; it’s a sense of harmony. It is essential to maintaining quality in life and work.” Joshua Osenga, author
- “No, they didn’t have any money, the sea was dangerous and men were lost, but it was a satisfying life in a way people today do not understand. There was a joinery of lives all worked together, smooth in places, or lumpy, but joined. The work and the living you did was the same things, not separated out like today.” Annie Proulx, journalist, novelist, and short-story writer
- “Take care of yourself: When you don’t sleep, eat crap, don’t exercise, and are living off adrenaline for too long, your performance suffers. Your decisions suffer. Your company suffers. Love those close to you: Failure of your company is not failure in life. Failure in your relationship is.” Ev Williams, co-founder of Medium and Twitter
- “Always take some of the plan, fun, freedom, and wonder of the weekend into your week and your work.” Rasheed Ogunlaru, life coach
- “I have so much admiration for women who are mothers, who balance family and work.” Beyonce, singer
- “Better learn balance. Balance is key.” Mr. Miyagi, from “The Karate Kid”
Balance is key
These quotes can help employees who are seeking the ever-elusive “right” blend of work and personal life. But employers can take great strides toward creating a climate that helps them achieve that balance. You can find plenty of information and ideas on the subject at Workest, which is powered by Zenefits. Workest provides news, information, trends, and community to small businesses.