Maryland Payroll Tax and Registration Guide

Employers in the Old Line State: learn about Maryland payroll tax and registration here.

Bookmark (0)

No account yet? Register

Account Number(s) Needed:

Companies who pay employees in Maryland must register with the MD Comptroller for a Central Registration Number and an Employer Account Number. Apply online using the combined application to receive both numbers.

MD Central Registration Number (CRN): 99999999 (8 digits)

  • The MD Comptroller issues CRNs within 5-7 days of a completed application. Email taxhelp@marylandtaxes. gov after 5 days to expedite the process.
  • Find an existing CRN:
    • on Form MW506, Employer’s Return of Income Tax Withheld.
    • by contacting the MD Comptroller.

MD Employer Account Number (EAN): 9999999999 (10 digits)

  • The MD Comptroller issues EANs within 6 weeks of a completed application.
  • Find an existing EAN:

Required Payroll Documentation:


  • MW 506 (Employer’s Return of Income Tax Withheld): This return can be filed electronically. This is a good source of information used to balance the amount of income tax withheld in prior quarters.


  • Maryland Quarterly Contribution & Employment Report: This return is eFiled electronically so you can use a payroll report that contains employee unemployment wages and employer contribution amounts.

Third Party Access /POA Needed:

Local Income Taxes Imposed:  

  • No

State Resources

Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details:


Authorizing Zenefits Payroll as Third Party Administrator in Maryland

If your company is in implementation:The payroll signatory selected will receive a notification in their Zenefits Inbox to e-sign the required POA forms. If this is not complete… Learn more

Bookmark (0)

No account yet? Register

Might also interest you