Companies who pay employees in MN must register online with the Minnesota Department of Revenue for a Tax ID Number and online with the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (also known as Unemployment Minnesota) for an Unemployment Insurance Employer Account Number.
Account Number(s) Needed:
- Register online at the MN Dept of Revenue to receive a Tax ID Number immediately.
- Find an existing Tax ID Number:
- online at Minnesota Revenue’s E-Services portal
- by contacting the DOR.
- Zenefits will take care of setting you up as our client in the portal – just make sure to grant our permissions request
- Register online at Unemployment Minnesota to receive a UI Employer Account Number immediately and a temporary password for authorizing a third party agent to file and pay MN Unemployment taxes.
- Find an existing UI Employer Account Number:
Required Payroll Documentation:
- Withholding tax returns must be filed electronically. Use a Payroll report that contains Employee SSN, Quarterly Wages Paid and Withheld Amounts.
- Unemployment Quarterly UI Wage Detail reports are filed electronically. Use a payroll report that contains Employee Name, SSN, Gross Wages, and Paid Hours Worked.
Third Party Access /POA Needed:
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Employers who use Zenefits Payroll to pay employees in Minnesota must authorize Zenefits Payroll as a third-party administrator (TPA) with the Minnesota Departments of Revenue a… Learn more
Owners are Potentially ExemptThe following owners/officers are exempt from Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Tax according to Minnesota Law §268.035, Subd.20 (29):Corporate offic… Learn more