Montana Payroll Tax and Registration Guide

Employers in the Treasure State: learn about Montana payroll tax and registration here.


No account yet? Register

Account Number(s) Needed:

Companies who pay employees in Montana must register with the MT Department of Revenue (DOR) for a Withholding Account Number and the MT Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) for a Unemployment Insurance (UI) Account Number.
Department of Revenue: 9999999-999-WTH (7 digits, 3 digits, “WTH”)
  • Apply online at the DOR’s to receive the number within 2 days.
  • Find an existing Withholding Account Number:
    • on Form MW-1, Montana Withholding Tax Payment Voucher
    • by contacting the DOR.
Department of Labor and Industry: Format: 999 9999 (7 digits)
  • Apply online at the DLI’s UI eServices for Employers portal to receive the number within 2 days.
  • Find an existing UI Account Number:
    • on Form UI-5, Employer’s Quarterly Contribution Return
    • by contacting the DLI.

Required Payroll Documentation:


  • MW-3 (Remittance Requirements and Annual Returns):  Use a Payroll report that contains Employee SSN, Quarterly Wages Paid, and Withheld Amounts.


  • Form UI-5 (Montana Employer’s Quarterly Insurance Quarterly Wage Report): This return is a good source of information to use to balance employee gross wages paid and employer contributions made in prior quarters.

Third Party Access /POA Needed:


Local Income Taxes Imposed:  


State Resources:

Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details


Dept. of Revenue for withholding taxes
Dept. of Labor & Industry for unemployment taxes

No account yet? Register

Might also interest you