New Mexico Payroll Tax and Registration Guide

Employers in the Echantment State: learn about New Mexico payroll tax and registration here.

Bookmark (0)

No account yet? Register

Account Number(s) Needed:

Companies who pay employees in New Mexico must register with the NM Department of Taxation and Revenue for a Combined Reporting System (CRS) ID Number and the NM Department of Workforce Solutions (DWS) for an Employer Account Number. NM also requires employers in NM to register their payroll provider as a third-party administrator to allow the provider to file and pay their NM taxes.

New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department (CRS) ID Number: 01-999999-99-9 (11 digits) first two digits should be 01,02, or 03.

New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions: 99-9999-9 (7 digits)

  • Apply online at the DWS’s UI Registration portal to receive the number within 2 days.
  • Find an existing Employer Account Number:
    • On Form ES-903A, Employer’s Quarterly Wage and Contribution Report.
    • By contacting the DWS.

Required Payroll Documentation:


  • CRS-1This is a combined filing return and is a good source of information for balancing withholding tax from prior quarters.


  • ES903_AB (Employers Quarterly Wage Contribution Report): This report is a good source of information to use to balance employee total wages paid and employer contributions made in prior quarters. This return can be filed electronically.

Third Party Access /POA Needed:


Local Income Taxes Imposed:  


State Resources:

Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details

Dept. of Workforce Solutions for unemployment taxes

Taxation & Revenue Department for withholding taxes


Authorize Zenefits Payroll as Third Party Administrator in New Mexico

Employers who use Zenefits Payroll to pay employees in New Mexico must authorize Zenefits Payroll as a  third-party  administrator (TPA) with the New Mexico Department of Workfo… Learn more

Bookmark (0)

No account yet? Register

Might also interest you