Employers in the Beehive State: learn about Utah payroll tax and registration here.
Account Number(s) Needed:
Companies who pay employees in Utah must register at the OneStop Online Business Registration to receive both a Withholding Account ID and an Employer Registration Number (for unemployment taxes).
Utah State Tax Commission Withholding Account ID: 99999999999 + WTH (11 digits + WTH)
- Apply to receive a Withholding Account Number within 2 weeks. Do not use the temporary account number provided at completion of the application.
- Find an existing Withholding Account Number:
- on Form TC-941, Utah Withholding Return
- by contacting the UT State Tax Commission via their contact page
Utah Department of Workforce Services Employer Registration Number: C 9-999999-9 or R 9-999999-9 (8 digits, preceded by C or R)
- Complete the combined withholding/employment registration form at the OneStop Online Business Registration portal to receive an Employer Registration Number, or apply separately at the UT Department of Workforce Services (DWS) portal. The number is issued immediately upon application completion in both cases.
- Find an existing Employer Registration Number:
Required Payroll Documentation:
- UTTC-941 (Utah Withholding Return): This return is a good source of information to use to balance UT wages and tax withheld for prior quarters.
- UT33H (Utah Employer Quarterly Wages List and Contribution Report): This report is a good source of information to use to balance Employee Total Wages Paid and employer contribution amounts paid for prior quarters.
Third Party Access /POA Needed:
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Dept. of Workforce Services for unemployment taxes
State Tax Commission for withholding taxes