Employers in the Old Dominion State: learn about Virginia payroll tax and registration here.
Account Number(s) Needed:
Companies who pay employees in VA must register with the VA Department of Taxation (TAX) for a Withholding Account Number and an Employment Commission Account Number within 2 weeks. To begin registering, make sure to click Are You A New Business? Register Here.
VA Department of Taxation (TAX) Withholding Account Number: 30-999999999F-999 (15 characters)
- Find an existing VA TAX Withholding Account Number:
VA Employment Commission (VEC) Account Number: 9999999999 (10 digits)
- Register online with VA TAX
- Find an existing Employment Commission Account Number:
Required Payroll Documentation:
- VA-5 (Monthly / Quarterly) Employer Return of Virginia Income Tax Withheld: You can use any payroll report that contains Quarterly VA Income Tax Withheld, Gross Wages, and Taxable Wages.
- VEC 21/20 (Employer Quarterly Payroll and Tax Report): If you file by paper, this is a good report to use to balance employee wages subject to the UI tax as well as employer contribution amounts.
Third Party Access /POA Needed:
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Employment Commission for unemployment taxes
Dept. of Taxation for withholding taxes