San Francisco, CA
Here's the gist:
Our engineers are responsible for designing new platform integrations that drive our products. This includes integrations with payroll providers, health insurance providers, and other third-party systems. You'll also get your hands dirty building accurate document parsing systems and whatever else gets thrown your way. We promise you'll never get bored.
- Ownership of Zenefits' system of record: all SQL and production SQL databases
- Prepare, Maintain and Test the databases being up, available and recoverable
- Discover and Document poor query performance and work with engineering teams to fix
- Screen all schema changes to ensure sensible design. Prevent rogue migrations from impacting production.
- Author and upgrade tools written in shell and Python
- Author and improve native configuration scripts for MySQL and HAproxy
- Author and improve Terraform and Saltstack scripts to improve automation
- Maintain backup and backup pipeline usingAWS EC2offerings, python tools, and shell scripts
- Ensure maximum uptime of non-production versions of the database tier
- Work with security team to ensure compliance with all stated and implied information security policies. Assist with annual audits.
- Routinely audit local and offsite backups
- Configure and audit database monitoring to prevent failure states and maintain maximum uptime
- Author root cause analysis and post-mortem reporting of database tier incidents
- Act as the primary on call for database incidents
A little more about you:
- 5 years experience as a production MySQL / Postgres database administrator or database engineer in a live production environment.
- Expertise with MySQL 5.7 and earlier, Percona toolkit, master-slave replication
- Working knowledge of providing Database High Availability using HA Proxy, Proxy SQL, Scalearc, Maria DB or another HA tool
- Experience with Nagios, Icinga, Pager Duty, self-authored and/or other forms of monitoring
- Ability to code in shell and at least on modern scripting language (python, perl, ruby, php)
- Experience working in AWS, automated management of EC2 instances, snapshots, volumes, RDS
- Expert Unix Sysadmin Skills in a contemporary linux environment such as debian, ubuntu or redhat
- Experience working with at least one graphing and visualization tool (vivid cortex, yog, signalfx, cacti, munin, etc)
- Highly technical, engineering driven professional
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with the rest of the engineering team
- Able to think and “see” around the corner for purposes of disaster recovery, high availability, scalability
- Able to get stuff done, self-driven and resourceful
- Able to influence, train and mentor engineers on good database schema design and good query design