Indiana Payroll Tax and Registration Guide

Employers in the Hoosier State: learn about Indiana payroll tax and registration here.

Bookmark (1)

No account yet? Register

Account Number(s) Needed:

Companies who pay employees in Indiana must register with the IN Department of Revenue for a Taxpayer ID Number and the IN Department of Workforce Development for a SUTA Account Number.
IN Taxpayer ID Number: 99999 99999 999 or 99999 99999 999 9 (13 or 14 digits)

  • Apply online using the IN BT-1 Online Application and receive a Taxpayer ID number in 2-3 business days.
  • This will be your “Location ID” as listed on your Withholding Summary. You may copy and paste this number directly into Zenefits (hyphen included).
  • You can also find an existing Taxpayer ID Number:

IN SUTA Account Number: 999999 or 999999A (6 digits or 6 digits + A)

  • Apply online at the Dept of Workforce Development’s Employer Self Service portal to receive a SUTA Account Number immediately after completing registration.
  • Find an existing SUTA Account Number:

Required Payroll Documentation:


  • WH-1 (Indiana Withholding Tax Form): This report is a good source of information used to balance wages and taxes withheld from prior quarters.


  • UC-1 (Quarterly Contribution Report) and UC-5 (Quarterly Payroll Report): This return is a good source of information to use to balance employee gross wages paid and employer contributions made in prior quarters.

Third Party Access /POA Needed:

  • Yes (Requested by Zenefits, no action required by company using Zenefits Payroll)

Local Income Taxes Imposed:  

  • No

State Resources

Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details:
Bookmark (1)

No account yet? Register

Might also interest you