Employers in the Hoosier State: learn about Indiana payroll tax and registration here.
Account Number(s) Needed:
Companies who pay employees in Indiana must register with the IN Department of Revenue for a Taxpayer ID Number and the IN Department of Workforce Development for a SUTA Account Number.
IN Taxpayer ID Number: 99999 99999 999 or 99999 99999 999 9 (13 or 14 digits)
- Apply online using the IN BT-1 Online Application and receive a Taxpayer ID number in 2-3 business days.
- This will be your “Location ID” as listed on your Withholding Summary. You may copy and paste this number directly into Zenefits (hyphen included).
- You can also find an existing Taxpayer ID Number:
- on Form WH-1 Withholding Tax Voucher
- by contacting the Dept. of Revenue.
IN SUTA Account Number: 999999 or 999999A (6 digits or 6 digits + A)
- Apply online at the Dept of Workforce Development’s Employer Self Service portal to receive a SUTA Account Number immediately after completing registration.
- Find an existing SUTA Account Number:
- on Form UC-1, Employer’s Quarterly Contribution Report, or
- by contacting the Dept. of Workforce Development.
Required Payroll Documentation:
- WH-1 (Indiana Withholding Tax Form): This report is a good source of information used to balance wages and taxes withheld from prior quarters.
- UC-1 (Quarterly Contribution Report) and UC-5 (Quarterly Payroll Report): This return is a good source of information to use to balance employee gross wages paid and employer contributions made in prior quarters.
Third Party Access /POA Needed:
- Yes (Requested by Zenefits, no action required by company using Zenefits Payroll)
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details:
- Dept. of Workforce Development for unemployment taxes
- Dept. of Revenue for withholding taxes