Iowa Payroll Tax and Registration Guide

Employers in the Hawkeye State: learn about Iowa payroll tax and registration here.

Bookmark (1)

No account yet? Register

Account Number(s) Needed:

Employers who pay employees in Iowa must register with the IA Department of Revenue (IDR) for a Withholding Account Number, and register with the Iowa Dept of Workforce Development (IWD) for a State Unemployment Tax (SUTA) Account Number.

IDR Withholding Permit Number: 99-9999999-999 (12 digits)

  • Register online at the IA Dept of Revenue portal to receive the number and a Business eFile Number (BEN) by mail within 4-6 weeks. However, the application cannot be processed until after first wages are paid.
  • Find an existing Withholding Permit Number:
    • on Form IA 44-095, Employer’s Quarterly Withholding Return.
    • by contacting the IDR.

IWD UI Account Number: 999999 (6 digits)

  • Register online at the IWD’s myIowaUI portal to receive the number immediately upon completion of the application. However, the application cannot be processed until after first wages are paid. See this New Business Fact Sheet for more info on requirements.
  • Find an existing UI Account Number:
    • online at the myiowaUI portal (requires prior registration).
  • The IA unemployment department should also provide an ACH credit account number, which Zenefits will use to make tax payments for your account.
    • The Unemployment Insurance EFT ACH Credit Bank Account number (each employer will be assigned a unique 17 digit account number after submitting Form 53-0110 to the jurisdiction). The UI bank account number will be provided in the registration confirmation. DO NOT USE W426004579 for the account number.
    • This number needs to be entered into your Zenefits payroll tax settings for IA.
    • If more information is needed, please call the myIowaUI Customer Service Team at 888-848-7442.

Required Payroll Documentation:


  • 44-095 (Iowa Withholding Tax Quarterly Return): This report is a good source of information used to balance wages and taxes withheld from prior quarters.


  • This is eFiled. You can use a payroll report that contains employee unemployment wages and employer contribution amounts.

Third Party Access /POA Needed:

  • Yes

Local Income Taxes Imposed:  

  • No

State Resources

Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details:
Bookmark (1)

No account yet? Register

Might also interest you