Employers in the Sunflower State: learn about Kansas payroll tax and registration here.
Account Number(s) Needed:
Companies who pay employees in Kansas must register with the KS Department of Revenue for a Withholding Account Number and the KS Department of Labor for an Employer Serial Number.
KS Withholding Account Number: 0036-099999999F01 or 999-099999999Z99 (4/3 digits; 9 digits; 1 letter; 2 digits)
- Apply online at the DOR’s Customer Service Center to receive a Withholding Account Number within 48 hours of completing the application.
- Find an existing Withholding Account Number:
- on Form KW-5, Withholding Tax Deposit Report, or
- by contacting the DOR
KS Employer Serial Number: 999999 or 9999999 (6 or 7 digits)
- Apply online at the DOL’s KansasEmployer portal to receive an Employer Serial Number within 2 days of completing the application.
- Find an existing Employer Serial Number:
- on Form K-CNS 100, Quarterly Wage Report and Unemployment Tax Return, or
- by contacting the DOL
Required Payroll Documentation:
- KW-5 (Kansas Withholding Tax Deposit Report): Returns can be filed electronically. This report is a good source of information to balance state tax withheld amounts from previous quarters.
- K-CNS 100 (Quarterly Wage Report and Unemployment Tax Return): This return can be filed electronically. This return is a good source of information to use to balance employee gross wages paid and employer contributions made in prior quarters.
Third Party Access /POA Needed:
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details
- Dept. of Labor for unemployment taxes
- Dept. of Revenue for withholding taxes